6/10/09

NPC: Barbara Bahle






Barbara Bahle-

Barbara is Ky’s mother. She is a 56 year old, heavy set woman with an amazing smile and a heart of gold. After losing her husband and her business she didn't give up. She made money doing odd jobs around the town and taught her son that he would have to work hard to help provide for the family. She raised him alone the best she could, and never resented her husband for leaving them.

Few know that at the age of 24 Barbara was pregnant with her and Baltimus' first child. The baby died in the womb late in the pregnancy. The cause was undiscovered however Baltimus and Barbara both knew that the Daeclein blood coursing through the veins of their to be daughter was too powerful for her half human body to handle; the chances were initially slim. It wasn't until 8 years later at the late age of 32 that Barbara discovered they were pregnant once again. 8 months later she gave birth to a beautiful, premature yet healthy baby boy. A rare surviving half Daeclien half human, named Kyson. A short 4 years later Baltimus accepted the position as an Imperial Warrior, Barbara would never see him again.

Things would have been easier with Baltimus around and with the money he provided, but they managed and over time got back to their feet. She now owns her own business once again and as head of the local tavern/eatery she doubles her yearly salary during the tournament season alone. However with repairs on the building and the cost of living expenses she still is forced to ask Ky for help, even though it pains her to do so. She knows deep down that he has his father’s heart and strives for adventure and she is discouraged that she must limit him from pursuing his dreams. She is in the end run a fantastic mother who currently has her hands tied and is in need of help.

5 comments:

  1. Man, Curtis, I like this design better than the others! The face has great volume. Its like a Disney character almost :P
    Seriously? Wicked stuff. I can't wait to see what is NEXT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks alot Tim! Nice to get your comment.

    Yea I focused alot on the face of this character, I've tried to draw her a few times in the past and failed miserably so its nice to hear you mention that heh.

    I did take alot of influence from the Disney/Pixar style for this image, along with some of my own -- I think it turned out nicely, I am happy with the end result.

    I was originally going to go with a more house wife, apron and mop sort of woman (as you can see in the first couple drawings) but I decided on more of a business, almost Madame looking woman lol. I think it fits her backstory a bit better, shes a strong woman not a maid.

    Thanks again Tim!

    -cr

    ReplyDelete
  3. **UPDATE**

    After having a short discussion about this character with Fernando Acosta, one of my artistic friends from work, and taking his notes into consideration I have updated the final vision for this character.

    Changes made include
    -Her feet have been pivoted to help solidify her stance more.
    -Back arm has been added along with tray and fancy drinks ( to enforce her backstory a bit further and add some roundness to the character).

    Any additional comments/suggestions please feel free!

    -cr

    ps. Visit Fernando Acosta at http://www.feracosta.blogspot.com/
    You wont be let down :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good choice on your final pick. The color scheme you chose made all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment man!

    Yea I was super happy with how the dress turned out especially. She seems like a solid character, I doubt ill have to do many changes on her in the future.

    Thanks for the comment man,
    and I hope your back to good health in the near future.

    -cr

    ReplyDelete